Top Ten Places to Catch a show, painting, photo, and a taste of history
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE – June, 2010
CONTACT: Marti Mayne, 207-846-6331, email@example.com
FROM THEATER TO ART TO MUSEUMS AND HISTORY, MT WASHINGTON VALLEY’S TOP TEN CULTURAL OFFERINGS
From art to theater to live music, Mt Washington Valley offers plenty of cultural, artistic and theatrical entertainment. Take in adventure in the White Mountain National Forest by day, and then enjoy live entertainment at night. For those who just can't get enough, there are plenty of matinees, and plenty of cultural, historic and artistic experiences from morning until night in Mt Washington Valley. Here are Mt Washington Valley’s top ten cultural experiences, with plenty of options for each artistic form.
- Painting and Photography: Mt Washington Valley Arts Association: Promoting visual arts in the Mt Washington Valley, this artist organization and visual arts center presents Art in the Park, July 9, July 23 and August 13, when artists display their work in Schouler Park in a "farmers market" style. Look for plenty of workshops and additional art events throughout the year. Additionally, Creative Inspirations specializes in hand painted wall murals for homes and businesses, Snow Brook Creations in Eaton offers calendars and notecards from its paintings and Southwind Airbrush paints everything from motorcycles and cars to walls. Marty Sage Gilman's renowned White Mountain paintings are available at the Handcrafters Barn in North Conway, too.
- Hear Live Music:Come for a week, and you'll have the opportunity to hear live music at many different venues. Stone Mountain Arts Center, a beautiful timber frame hall tucked in the mountains hosts national acts and shows, Arts Jubilee presents the Summer Concert Series at Cranmore for enjoyment by the entire family, and Mountain Top Music Center provides inspiring music education and performance and listening opportunities throughout the summer. Dana Cunningham is also a pianist and composer offering occasional concerts and creating CDs of her inspiring music.
- A little bit of everything: Come hear Livingston Taylor on July 8 and the Preservation Hall Jazz Band on July 22 at the Leura Hill Eastman Performing Arts Center at Fryeburg Academy. You'll even find Monday Night Movies here on the big screen. Additionally the Arts Council of Tamworth (ACT) will offer up a full schedule of live entertainment throughout the year and Conway's Majestic Theater offers state of the art theater technology in a 1936 art deco design. Believe in Books offers the Theater in the Wood, located in the 100 Acre Wood offering a 150-250 seat performing arts center with Childrens’ Theater every Friday along with music and/or comedy each weekend.
- Enjoy Live Theater: Choose from a host of different venues for everything from drama to musicals. Arts in Motion will present RENT at the Loynd Auditorium at Kennett High School this August. M&D Productions awakens community-based action and understanding of social issues through cutting edge theatre with funds raised going back to the community. Deertrees Theater in nearby Harrison, ME offers Broadway plays and classical music, operatic arias and folk, blues and comedy throughout the summer and Mt Washington Valley Theater Company presents a series of musicals performed in a historic theater.
- Dance your heart out: Act One Dance Company offers a variety of dance and performance opportunities for kids 8 to 18, Jeanne Limmer Dance Center , a space where bodies move and spirits awaken to create energy and a place to explore dance in lessons and performances.
- Fiber Art: Sally's Bags are handmade in Mt Washington Valley and available at stores in North Conway. Sunshine Daydream Farm & Gardens offers fiber art classes throughout the winter
- Visit a gallery: Golf Leaf Frame and Gallery offers a full range of framing and a place for local artists to exhibit work, and the White Mountain Photo Gallery exhibits artwork from local artists too. Vintage Frame Works offers a wide range of frames, artwork and photo restoration services, and the League of New Hampshire Craftsmen and Earth & Fire combine a gallery for fine NH-made artworks and furnishings with a glassblowing studio and showroom. The Handcrafters Barn is a series of buildings offering one of the largest collection of handmade items in the country, and the White Mountain Artisans Gallery similarly exhibits works from 100+ local artists. You'll even find some of New England's best artworks, photography and handmade crafts and foods at Zeb's General Store.
- Shop for art: Adamma's African Imports offers unique African works of art,Salvatore Michaels FramedArt Superstore offers vintage ski posters and a large range of artwork, Salvatore's Art Gallery at the Met also exhibits artworks at 50% off retail from 100+ local and national artists.
- Photography: Mt Washington Valley is filled with talented photographers, including Abundant Life Images, Ladybug Photography, Lawrence Carbonaro Photography and Moat Mountain Photography capturing adventure and fine art images. Robert Grant offers many Mt Washington Valley images;