Fryeburg, Maine was the first town settled in the White Mountain region of either Maine or New Hampshire being settled in 1763 and finally incorporated January 11, 1777. The original wilderness territory of what was then the Province of the Massachusetts Bay, was called Pequawket (Pigwacket). General Joseph Frye, who had gained distinction in the French and Indian War made a journey to examine the territory for present and future advantage and found a lush and rich wilderness that filled his idea of a desirable homestead grant. General Frye prepared his application for a grant of this area for a township based on his military service to the Colonies.
On February 24, 1763 the grant to Joseph Frye, Esq. was confirmed and the primitive beginnings of the town of Fryeburg were born. One of the earliest acts of General Frye was to lay out the township into a series of seven 40 acre lots. He began at the Province town line along the high bank above the intervale (the low, flat open lands along the river) to where the bank, following the course of the river, turns north-west and where the road to Swan's Falls now begins. These parcels have always been defined in Fryeburg's history as the original “Seven Lots”.
In 1766 the subscribers of the new township, up until that time called Pigwacket, were successful in their petition to the Province of Massachusetts Bay to be called Fryeburg, in order to be legally distinguished from other newly settled townships. In 1805 Oxford County was established and Fryeburg became a town within that county.
Today the town of Fryeburg consists of the village or business district, North Fryeburg, Center Fryeburg, West Fryeburg and East Fryeburg. It has much to offer its visitors with canoeing on the Saco River or Lovewell's Pond, swimming, camping, hiking Jockey Cap and various other trails and searching out historic monuments and buildings. It boasts several beautiful town parks, restaurants, churches, and many businesses. Home of the renowned Fryeburg Academy. In 1791, residents from Fryeburg, Brownfield and Conway agreed to support a new school, Fryeburg Academy. The school was incorporated in 1792.
We welcome you to visit Fryeburg and enjoy the many amenities it has to offer. The town maintains eleven Public Parks - Graustein Park on Fairview Drive, Bradley Park on Main Street, Admiral Peary Park on Main Street, Meridian Stone on Main Street, Weston's Beach on River Road, Canal Bridge on Route 5, Joseph Frye Homestead on Route 5, Stark's Hill Rest Area on Main Street, Brownfield Bog Access Facility on Routes 5 and 302, Skillings-Newman Memorial Park on Old Mill Road, Eastman Grove on Portland Street, and the Town Forest and Nature Area on Route 5. These park offer a wide variety of recreational and educational opportunities to residents and visitors.